Friday, May 7, 2010

Excellence

I was talking with a friend today and she was telling me of a quote that she had heard and was asking me what I thought about it. The quote was, "I never want to stop being an amateur." She was speaking about things of the spirit. I think the quote stemed from a desire to remain humble and consistently dependent on the Lord.

But I disagree with the quote. We are called to excellent. We are called to function with full skill, knowledge....without compromising the voice of the Holy Spirit. I don't disagree with humble and dependent, but aren't the best experts in any field, the people who have the skill and who remain teachable.

I think the conversation awakened something in me to again press in to what is in my heart. To not just know enough, but to have the knowledge and skill mastered. And to couple that with the Spirit of God reigning inside of me.

Many times, we in the church are satisfied to just know enough. God is once again raising the challenge to us to master what He has called us to.

For as 1 Chron 22 says, "We (the temple of the Lord) are to be of great magnificance, fame, and splendor in the sight of all the nations."

Let's choose to be committed to the constant process of learning. Let's choose to be committed to not just partnering with the Lord, but gaining wisdom and skill. Let's choose to be committed to excellence.

No comments: