Sunday, September 27, 2009

Birthdays

Sometimes the things a kid does just amaze you.

I was riding in the car home from church tonight and Adie was talking about her birthday. Now, this might not be odd for some, but her birthday isn't for another 5 months. She kept talking about which princesses would show up, which of Lighting McQueens' friends would show up, and which of tinker bell's friends would come.

Then she was telling me which presents she would get and was talking about her cake.

So like any good mommy, I was trying to explain that she would have to wait awhile for her birthday. Nana's and Grandad's and Daddy's and Mommies would be here first.

But she was so insistent on her present and cake that I finally just said, if you want a present now, you will need to ask Jesus.

So she sweetly prayed, "Jesus, I want a present and some cake." Then without warning or prompting says, "HELP ME Jesus. Amen."

Then the rest of the way home, she is talking, as if reality, about the present she would get and the pile of cake.

Now, I have three choices as a parent. I can jump in and help make her prayers happen. But how does that help. In my zealousness to help her know God is real, I would jump in and not let him be the "savior" of the moment and I would make her prayers happen.

Or I could tone her down. "Don't get your expectations up kid." Not wanting her to have disappointment hit her.

Or the last and best option....I could encourage her precious faith to grow. Put Jesus on the line and let him meet her precious heart's cry in a way that she will remember and cherish.

So I am waiting.....and hoping that this teachable moment provides my daughter with the understanding that she matter to Jesus and that He is good to her. And that he is not just about her needs, but her wants.

So here is to...the faith of a child and the expectancy of a moving King.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I am super pumped to see how Jesus does this one!! Don't you move unless God tells you to. I think He will come through in an unusual way! Hee hee hee (that's my spirit laughing!)

Brenda said...

Oh Tai--how sweet. And I agree with Rachel on this one....Wait and see what God tells you or what He does!! I am just thrilled that she didn't want me to make matching costumes for you and her to wear!! (huh--ballerina??)

Tanya said...

she is adorable... I loved getting to know her better.

Love you
Tanya

Tanya said...

I also would subscribe to your blog but my dear old computer is not pulling up all of your blog page and therefore I can't find the subscribe button....